Serving Nonprofits. Strengthening West Virginia.

West Virginia Flood Recovery and Response

WV Floods-1In response to the devastating floods in West Virginia, people across the country are asking how they can help our citizens and communities recover. Below, you will find a variety of resources to help you volunteer, donate, and help with immediate and long-term recovery assistance. Scroll down or choose a topic to learn more:

Emergency Services and Red CrossFEMA Disaster Relief
Small Business AdministrationDisaster Related Fraud
Legal AidTo Volunteer
To DonateRoad Closures
WV Flood UpdatesNonprofit Funding Opportunities



American Red Cross: 202-549-0497
24 Hour Hotline for casework support. Casework may include grants, referrals for medical needs, FEMA paperwork, or help with damage assessments.

Emergency Services
Main Number: 304-558-5380
Clay County: 304-587-4259
Fayette County: 304-574-1610
Greenbrier County: 304-645-5444
Kanawha County: 304-357-0966
Monroe County: 304-772-3925
Nicholas County: 304-872-7892
Pocahontas County: 304-799-6537
Roane County: 304-927-0918
Summers County: 304-466-5613
Webster County: 304-847-2122


You MUST register to receive FEMA assistance. Go to or one of the FEMA Disaster Recovery Centers listed below. Be sure to save all receipts from any expenses for cleanup and building. FEMA requires receipts for reimbursement.

Kanawha County Crede Warehouse
3300 Pennsylvania Ave, Charleston, WV 25302
NEW HOURS: 8 a.m – 6 p.m. (closed Sundays)

Disaster Recovery Center 2, Richwood City Hall
6 White Ave, Richwood, WV 26261
NEW HOURS: 8 a.m – 6 p.m. (closed Sundays)

Mobile Disaster Recovery Center 3
65 West Main St (please note new address), White Sulphur Springs, WV 24986
NEW HOURS: 8 a.m – 6 p.m. (closed Sundays)

Disaster Recovery Center 4
201 Kanawha Ave, Rainelle, WV
NEW HOURS: 8 a.m – 6 p.m. (closed Sundays)

Damaged Wells, Water Systems, or Septic Systems: If your private well or septic system was damaged or contaminated in the recent storms, you may be eligible for FEMA aid. The well must be the sole source of water for the home to be eligible. The repairs must also not be covered by insurance. Call the FEMA helpline at 1-800-621-3362 if you find damage to your water systems, even if an inspector has already visited your home.

Other FEMA Resources:
FEMA Daily Fact Sheet: July 14, 2016
FEMA Fact Sheet: Temporary Manufactured Housing Units
Tips from FEMA on Recovering Documents


The Small Business Administration (SBA) offers low-interest, long-terms disaster loans for physical damage and working capital. Businesses and nonprofits can borrow up to $2 million to repair or replace disaster damaged or destroyed real estate. Homeowners and renters are eligible for up to $40,000 to repair or replace disaster damaged or destroyed personal property.  The filing deadline to return applications for physical property damage is Aug. 24, 2016. The deadline to return economic injury applications is March 27, 2017.

Additional information on the disaster loan program may be obtained by calling SBA’s Customer Service Center at 800-659-2955 (800-877-8339 for the deaf and hard-of-hearing) or by sending an email to Loan applications can be downloaded from Applicants may apply online using the Electronic Loan Application (ELA) via SBA’s secure website at

Business Recovery Center Locations:

Greenbrier County
Greenbrier Valley Economic Development Corp.
804 Industrial Park, Suite 5
Maxwelton, WV 24957
Opening: Wednesday, July 6
Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Kanawha County
Charleston Area Alliance
1116 Smith St.
Charleston, WV 25301
Opening: Wednesday, July 6
Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.


FEMA warns of potential scammers posing as FEMA representatives that may try to obtain personal information or collect payment for assistance or repairs. Always ask to see ID badges of anyone claiming to be a FEMA representative. All FEMA representatives will have a laminated photo ID.  FEMA will only request applicants’ bank account numbers during the registration process and verification of identity. FEMA will not solicit or accept money.

DONATIONS – If you want to donate, there are many legitimate groups and organizations helping with short and long-term recovery efforts. If you donate to small organizations, make sure you know them, otherwise stick with well-established relief agencies and know that you are supporting the greater good.

Unfortunately, there are many pop-up groups that are out to scam generous donors. Some questions to ask before making the decision to contribute include:
1. Is the organization registered with the West Virginia Secretary of State’s Office?
2. How will your donation be used?
3. How much of your donation will be used for flood relief and recovery?
4. If being solicited by phone, is the caller employed by the organization or a fundraising agency?

For a list of vetted organizations to support, refer to the list and links under the “TO DONATE” heading below. For information on wise giving from the Secretary of State’s Office and a list of registered charitable organizations licensed to solicit donations from West Virginians, click HERE.

The West Virginia Attorney General’s Office is working to expose fraudulent charities. If you hear of or have experience with suspicious or questionable “charities” please contact the Attorney General’s Office:

Toll Free – 1-800-368-8808
Local – 304-558-8986
E-mail –


Legal Aid of West Virginia has opened up a hotline offering legal consultation for citizens as they recover from the floods. Legal Aid can be reached at 1-877-331-4259.

The West Virginia State Bar is also offering free legal assistance to flood victims. Visit their website for more information:


* UPDATE: July 19th, 2016
Local flood response organizers are reporting an urgent need for volunteers to help with flood cleanup efforts over the next 10 days.

Individual Volunteers: Volunteers should not self-deploy; please stay safe until contacted by a volunteer coordinator. All volunteers must register at a local Volunteer Reception Center or at If you are already volunteering at a local shelter or response operation but are not registered with another disaster response agency (like the Red Cross), please register and give comment on your current volunteer location.

Group volunteers: For agencies with groups of volunteers ready to help (including church groups and student organizations), please register your team at You only need to register your team once.

All volunteers should get tetanus shots, and if you are mucking out, be sure to wear boots, proper clothing, gloves, and masks. Be sure to stay hydrated eating well, getting plenty of rest, and take care of yourself. For more safety information, refer to our “SAFETY” topic below.

In Need of Volunteers: If your agency or someone you know needs volunteer support to staff shelters, conduct damage assessments, or has other volunteer needs, please email Volunteer WV at or call at 304-558-0111 to complete a volunteer request.

Volunteer Reception Centers are open in Elkview, Lewisburg, and Richwood/Summersville this week. Groups and individuals can visit these locations to volunteer. For more information on flood relief visit

To volunteer in Kanawha, Clay or Roane counties email or call the reception center at Elkview from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. ( or 304-859-3748).

To volunteer in Greenbrier County or Nicholas County including Richwood, Rupert, Rainelle, Alderson, and White Sulphur Springs contact the reception center between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. (304-808-1872 or email


If you wish to make a donation on the local level with 100% of your contribution going to the needs of local citizens and communities, you can do so by checking out the following list of United Ways and Community Foundations:



Clay County:

Fayette County:

Greenbrier County:

Kanawha County:

Monroe County:

Nicholas County:

Pocahontas County:

Roane County:

Summers County:

Webster County:

  • The Beckley Area Foundation – 304-253-3806 or email Please call, as they do not have an online giving option.


View the latest road and bridge closure report by visiting the West Virginia Department of Transportation’s website.


A new website,, has been set up by flood volunteers. It is a resource both for affected residents seeking aid and anyone who wants to help in some way. It is meant to connect the dots between those donating and those who need to receive those donations.


The West Virginia Division of Culture and History can offer matching grants between $2,000 and $10,000 to West Virginia nonprofit arts and history organizations whose buildingsor collections were impacted by recent flooding. For more information, visit or contact Debbie Haught, program coordinator, at 304-558-0240 ext. 714 or

A funding pool is also available through the WV State Bar’s IOLTA Committee. The money in these grants is for “foreclosure prevention legal assistance and community redevelopment legal assistance.” This could be a great opportunity for a nonprofit to help provide legal assistance to communities, individuals, and businesses going through rebuilding efforts following the floods. Legal Service Organizations are the primary focus, but other nonprofits can work in partnership with them to facilitate the needed legal assistance around community re-development. The full details are included here.


Important information on health and safety for those helping with flood recovery: Asbestos Awareness and Removal Procedures and Lime Information and Safety Sheet from the WV Bureau of Public Health.

Find “A Health Guide for the Public in Disaster Planning and Recovery” on the WV Office of Environmental Health Service’s website.

Please contact with additions or corrections to this page.